3 years ago Ashley Beedle and Darren Morris were blown away by a cover version of Burt Bacharach’s ‘A House Is Not A Home’ performed by 60′s soul legend Mavis Staples. So much so, that the duo were inspired to produce an instrumental track and send the results to a number of their favourite vocalists to put their own stamp on the music using�the same chord structure and points of reference for a reggae riddim approach on this series of tracks.
Vocalists Candi Staton, Kurt Wagner, Ed Harcourt, Edwin Collins, Cerys Matthews and Sarah Cracknell pave the way for emerging artists such as Danielle Moore (Crazy P), John Turrell (Smooth and Turrell), Disa and Cheryl MacNeil, all of which provoke evocative and honest performances.
A project that prides itself being steeped in musical history reaches out to not only the mature listener but also the younger audience as the artists featured on ‘Mavis’ steer the music into a contemporary context that maintains the message and inspiration of the original piece.
To give you a taster of what to expect on the album, at the bottom of this article you can find a free download (Or stream) of Ed Harcourt’s – ‘Puzzles and Riddles’.
- Gangs of Rome feat.�Kurt Wagner
- What You Looking For feat.�John Turrell
- Nemesis Required feat.�Cerys Matthews
- Revolution feat.�Candi Staton
- Puzzles & Riddles feat.�Ed Harcourt
- When I Walk With You (Heartbreak Song) feat.�Sarah Cracknell
- Sinful Love feat.�Disa
- Dreamers (Interlude) feat.�Chris Coco
- Let Your Love Shine feat.�Danielle Moore
- 4:14 feat.�Cherilyn MacNeil
- Feeling Lucky feat.�Edwyn Collins
‘Mavis‘ is available on !K7 in February, don’t miss…